Sunday, August 17, 2008

Fork of restful-authentication to authenticate with email instead of login names

I have started a new personal project, and one of the first things I implemented was a user authentication system. I looked into restful-authentication and found that it accomplished everything I needed, except that it required a login name for authenticating.

It has always annoyed me when a site required that I give a valid e-mail address and provide a username, which was usually taken, and then having to append an arbitrary string at the end just to make it unique. Making a registration system based on an e-mail address and password, as well as an optional full name field, just seemed to make more sense to me.

So, instead of creating a full fledged user authentication system, I decided to fork technoweenie's very well made restful-authentication plugin, and have it use e-mail addresses for the login instead of login names. I also modified the rspec tests to account for this change, and now they all pass. You can find the github page here.

All credit goes to technoweenie, of course. I merely refactored the tests and plugin functionality to account for a small change. All original documentation still applies, so check it out if you're in the market for a new user auth system.

No comments: